Wednesday, December 4, 2013

IWSG: What is your COGNITIVE DISTORTION?

Ever wonder why you react the way you do? Why you get down on yourself?
Why you're crying when it's not that big of a deal?
How does this effect your writing? Or better yet, your life?
 
COGNITIVE DISTORTIONS affect the ability to perform within your Optimal Performance Range - the area where you're at your best.
 
FOUR MINDSETS are represented below with the thinking and behavioral patterns included. Pin point yours then ask yourself the THREE questions 
& read the ONE solution for each!
(PSSST... you can use this to hone in on your character's personalities, too!)
VICTIM MINDSET
Thinking Pattern: woe is me, not my fault, pity party right here!
Behavioral Pattern: blaming, whining, disgruntle, Debbie Downer

POLARITY MINDSET
Thinking Pattern: black or white, always or never, all or nothing
Behavioral Pattern: competitive, power struggles, not flexible, doesn't see reason

EMOTIONAL MINDSET
Thinking Pattern: exaggerates expressions, feeling is the only filter, passive aggressive
Behavioral Pattern: drama queen/king, gossiper, gossip recruiter, overly animated

PERFECTIONIST MINDSET
Thinking Pattern: my way or highway, nothing is good enough, extremely high expectations 
Behavioral Pattern: pushy, steps on toes, OCD, frustrated

HERE are your THREE reflective questions:
1. Do I have the tendency to interpret the world in several of these unhealthy ways of thinking?
2. What would happen to my stress level if I stopped doing that?
3. How might this be a reflection of my boundaries?

SOLUTIONS to thinking outside your mindset. 
VICTIM MINDSET SOLUTIONlook outside yourself, it's called...service!
POLARITY MINDSET SOLUTION: allow the grey, it's called...exploring options!
EMOTIONAL MINDSET SOLUTION: talk face to face, it's called...confrontation!
PERFECTIONIST MINDSET SOLUTION: take the ebb & flow, it's called...life!

So bloggy writers, what is your mindset(s) and how do you hope to improve it? Two years ago I was a perfectionist. Now it's mixed with emotional since starting my MS! I initially laughed then cried, and then gossiped about it in a perfect way... :) 

Recheck this yearly to see where you're at!

28 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

But but my ocd doesn`t like taking the ebb and flow

Chris Fries said...

I'm not saying I'm OCD, but it shouldn't it be changed to "CDO" to make it alphabetical?

Yeah -- I lean towards the Perfectionist. But now I'm evolveing. See? I even intentionally misspelled "evolving" to show you that I can handle it. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pat's comment made me laugh!
I'm a perfectionist, but fortunately I've overcome those hangups. Well, most of them anyway.

Julie Flanders said...

I think I have some of all of them! I change daily LOL.

This stuff is so interesting, great post for the IWSG.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Like Julie, I have a little bit of all of them. It changes from time to time, maybe even from day to day.

Chrys Fey said...

Great post, but I can't pick which one I am. LOL!!

Michelle Wallace said...

I think I'm a combo of emotional + perfectionist mindset.
Interesting stuff!
Writer In Transit

M. R. Buttars said...

Perfectionism is my downfall may a day. It doesn't like the ebb and flow that it can't control, which is all of it! ;) Thanks for the post!

S.K. Anthony said...

Oh my gosh, this is awesome!

If all goes bad (in my mind) I could be that OCD frustrated Debbie Downer that becomes a drama queen and then sees no reason. Yes, all four. Luckily that's only right before I have to publish lol. Love the solutions as well, you rock :D

Al Diaz said...

Can one jump from one group to another? I think I've done it. I also might have been in several groups at the same time. Oh chaotic times, may you never return.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I have to go with emotional. I am totally passive aggressive. Not bragging, admitting. I have cured my gossipy nature...after spending years as a social worker, I get zero pleasure from knowing bad news. What is juicy gossip is pain and stress for another.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Can't say I fit into any of those but I can think of a few family members who might.

Andrew Leon said...

Hrmph
I'm wanting to go all psychological on you here, but I'm not going to.

Leandra Wallace said...

I'm the emotional one! And normally the stuff that makes me cry, if you give me a few hours, I can then admit it probably wasn't as big a deal as I thought it was. =)

ilima said...

Can I say all of the above? I'm a mess. :)

Tammy Theriault said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and sharing!!! Awesome discoveries!!

DAVID WALSTON said...

I think I can relate to most of them.

David P. King said...

I thought my behavioral science senses were tingling ... excellent post, and so true! :)

Jeff Hargett said...

I must have SCDD (split cognitive distortion disorder). Is there any help for me?

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Tamms….

How are you?

ME…. None…. or a combination. We need to create one for writers who OD overdoing. Never enough hours in the day to accomplish all that we need to do.

Back in Florida from Colombia… Having a coffee blog hop sometime this month… Hope you a coffee addict. I am giving away REAL COLOMBIAN COFFEE….. YUM!!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I tend to be The Perfectionist. I cope with it well when keeping it from others, but I have a hard time deflecting it from myself. Working on it. ;)

The Warrior Muse

Lexa Cain said...

I arrived here feeling pretty normal, and now I'm all worried about my mindset and being dysfunctional. Yikes! Don't look too deeply lest you find something to look at. Fascinating post! :-)

Crystal Collier said...

I am such a flippin' perfectionist! Of course, the older I get, the older my kids get, the LESS in control I can be, the easier it is to shrug things off. My husband is constantly reminding me to relax and just go with the flow. Don't know what I'd do without him.

Tammy Theriault said...

Awesome guys!!

klahanie said...

Hey Tammy,

Aha, Tammy goes all serious. Let's just put it this way. Cultivating healthy thinking creates a better mindset for all you wish to achieve.

Seek out positive resources that are conducive to your well being. Involve yourself with positive, encouraging people and in turn, you are positive and encouraging to them.

Gary

Jay Noel said...

Okay, this is too much psychoanalysis for my brain! Now my head hurts.

I think my ebb lost its flow.

Carrie Butler said...

I'm trying to take the ebb & flow, I swear!

Damyanti said...

I'm all of them at some point or another. I try to keep a positive mindset when I can :)